Alpha Sigma Phi
Nickname: Alpha Sig
President: President Ben Nichols (502) 235-0354 email@example.com
Recruitment: Adam Lucas (419) 902-2488 firstname.lastname@example.org |
The University of Kentucky was founded in 1865 by John Bowman as the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Kentucky. Original instruction was offered at Ashland, Kentucky, but the institution separated from Kentucky University (now Transylvania University) in 1876 and moved to Lexington in 1878. The university is the state's largest and is the land grant university of the state.
Scroll and Crescent was organized in 1914 and changed its name to Phi Sigma in 1915. The group petitioned Alpha Sigma Phi for a charter which was granted and the chapter was installed by Grand Junior President Wayne M. Musgrave, Yale '07, on January 4, 1917. Sigma's installation dispelled inter-fraternity rumors that Alpha Sigma Phi would not expand into the South. World War I delayed the chapter's efforts to obtain a chapter house.
The first house was at 238 E. Maxwell Street, followed by 218 S. Limestone Street in the Fall of 1920. In the early 1920's, the chapter moved to 211 East Maxwell Street. In 1926 the chapter moved to 433 E. Maxwell Street. From 1935 to 1941 the chapter house was at 314 Transylvania Street. After World War II the chapter house was at 334 South Broadway, followed by 418 East Maxwell, and finally 641 Maxwelton Court. The chapter ceased operations in 1962 after several years of limited membership.
William Brown, Kentucky '18, Dennis Carpenter, Sigma '25, Harry C. Cogswell, Kentucky '27, James T. Mahan, Kentucky '32, and Hugh D. Dillehay, Kentucky '47, have received the Delta Beta Xi Award. The chapter newsletter was known as "Sig Bits." The chapter roster contains 387 names.
The Sigma Colony at Kentucky was re-started in the Spring of 2016 by Kenny Denton, East Carolina '12.
Philanthropy: Kick-Off Karnival with the ladies of Delta Gamma. The event benefits RAINN and the Delta Gamma Foundation
Locally Founded: January 4, 1917
Nationally Founded: December 6, 1845
Colors: Cardinal and Stone